Your standards are our standards: GRITIT's health and safety management system is OHSAS 18001:2007, 14001:2015 and 9001:2015 certified.
We instil health and safety ownership at every level of the company from both the top down to the bottom up, and achieve a 97% Achilles audit result.
You can be assured when working with GRITIT that we’re a safety-first business partner.
Winter Gritting health and safety
Free Winter Gritting site survey process uses industry best-practice risk assessments to identify potential health and safety hazards, assessing risk likelihood and the associated severity:
- Suitable mitigation measures are identified and captured and used to create the method statements for all areas of work we carry out.
- Method statements include details on how to prepare for a task, and the safe systems of work which must be followed when carrying out the task, including how to use personal protection equipment (PPE), signage, equipment (including chemicals) and machinery.
- All of our staff receive pre-contract induction and on-going training, such as tool-box talks, on working safely and in accordance with our method statements, and are not allowed to work on sites until their line manager has confirmed that they have both received and understood their health and safety training.
- Training is delivered in-house and via specialist training providers. In addition to task specific training, our operators receive training on best practice safe working including fire safety, manual handling, slips and trips, lone working, vehicle safety, reporting near misses, incidents and accidents.
- We operate a robust supervision and inspection program, combining planned and ad-hoc monitoring of operators and records. This ensures our health and safety policy, processes and safe systems of work are being correctly followed at all times and makes sure that we follow winter compliance.
- Our inspection measures include assessment of the quality and safety of service delivery through planned monthly and ad-hoc site inspections carried out by the regional manager.
- All our winter machinery is meticulously serviced during off-season months to prepare for the season ahead
By observing the step-by-step delivery of works, we can assess compliance with the risk assessments and method statements and identify and rectify any skills or training gaps or non-conformance.
Winter Gritting Health and Safety Responsibilities
If you run a business or are responsible for employees, customers or visitors to a place of work, then you personally have a duty of care to keep sites safe.
Even if no injury has occurred, under the new stricter enforcement of Health & Safety Executive (HSE) regulations, management is held directly responsible when it comes to health and safety, with a new trend towards large personal fines.
The moral of the story? When choosing a contractor, make sure that you choose a safe contractor that places health and safety at the heart of its operations.